Find flyers for educational opportunities below and an extensive monthly calendar of events for professional development opportunities.
Teaching the Civil War through a New Lens Webinar (Social Studies) January 15, 2020 / 7:00 pm. Teachers, you’re invited to an exclusive live conversation with Dr. Henry Louis Gates! This one-hour conversation will explore topics on the lasting impact of the American Civil War, the following period of Reconstruction and the ways in which these historical events continue to impact our nation’s psyche. How can we look past the required curriculum to teach the history of this country? How can we incorporate current events into lessons from the past? You will have the opportunity to ask Dr. Gates questions, so come prepared for a rich, deep and honest conversation that will help you connect to your students, and help make yesterday’s lessons relevant today. Register today at https://www.eventbrite.com/
e/live-qa-with-dr-henry-louis- gates-jr-tickets-88090032659.Every Child Ready to Read - February Regional Workshops (Literacy / Media Specialists) In February, the South Carolina State Library will be hosting four regional Every Child Ready to Read workshops across the state. More information can be found at the links below. If you work in an elementary or primary school, this would be a great workshop for you or your teachers! The dates and registration for the workshops are linked below. . .
libcal.com/event/6158856If you have questions, contact Rebecca Antill, Youth Services Consultant, South Carolina State Library, email@example.com / 803-734-8284.Time to Teach About The Wars in the Middle East (Social Studies) A free book PDF from Rethinking Schools is available to all teachers. I do not have a reading level for the book, but with the subject matter, I believe that this will fit best at the secondary level. The book is in PDF format, and you can download it from https://www. rethinkingschools.org/books/ title/teaching-about-the-wars.VirtualSC Course Offerings Spring 2020 (All Areas) First, please note that VirtualSC Professional Development has a new website at https://virtualscpd.com/ an d a new OpenSIS: https://opensis. virtualscpd.com/. Are you interested in taking a spring 2020 course with VirtualSC PD? Just click here to see which courses we are offering. . .https://virtualscpd.com/ index.php/2019/12/14/spring- 2020-course-list-is-now- available/. Registration will open on February 12, 2020 and end on March 4, 2020 at 4:00 pm. Courses will run from March 30, 2020 to May 17, 2020. For more information on our different endorsements, click on the items below. . .
Need to take a course right away? Their self-paced courses could be for you! Just visit our website for more information! https://virtualscpd.com/SC African American Heritage Foundation Workshop: Black Reconstruction in South Carolina (Social Studies / African American Educators) February 11, 2020 /SC Archives Building, Columbia. Below is a flyer in JPEG format in for an upcoming professional development workshop for K-12 teachers being hosted by the South Carolina African American Heritage Foundation. Attendees will learn how to integrate the arts into the K-12 curriculum using the 2017 South Carolina College and Career-Ready Standards for Visual and Performing Arts Proficiency. The theme is Black Reconstruction in South Carolina. Participants will receive CEU credits and a stipend. Registration is free but space is limited. Please share this information with your network. Feel free to share my contact information.ETV Teacher Recertification - WINTER session 2020 & FREE Offer (All Areas) Below is the information from SCETV about their winter courses.
- VirtualS PD's Online Teaching Endorsement page https://virtualscpd.com/
- VirtualSC PD's Project-Based Learning Endorsement page https://virtualscpd.com/
- VirtualSC PD's Read to Succeed Literacy Teaching Endorsement page https://virtualscpd.com/
- VirtualSC PD's Literacy Coaching Endorsement page https://virtualscpd.com/
- VirtualSC PD's Read to Succeed Literacy Specialist Endorsement page https://virtualscpd.com/
SC educators can earn renewal credit with ETV Teacher Recertification online courses – all approved by the SC Department of Education. Courses for 20 renewal credits each, plus Rudy Mancke’s Natural History: In and Out of the Classroom course for 60 renewal credits provided in WINTER session ONLY.
Two NEW 20 renewal credit courses with renowned Naturalist Rudy Mancke
- Natural History in North America & Beyond, Series I and Series II
These NEW courses highlight the four regions of the United States – the Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest - as we examine the biodiversity of the area, looking at the distinctive geography and the great variety of plant and animal life forms along with their remarkable habitats to understand how they are connected. (Series III and IV available Spring 2020) (Recommended for teachers of all grade levels) *SEE below - FREE offer
“Rudy Mancke is a SC treasure and his passion for nature inspiring! I would definitely recommend his courses. The theme of making connections is a helpful concept for any classroom AND you get to learn so much more about our beautiful state and its inhabitants.” – Taylor R., SC teacher
SPECIAL FREE OFFER: First 10 educators to register for at least ONE ETV Teacher Recertification course in WINT
ER Session 2020 can also participate FREE of charge in this NEW 20 renewal credit course with Naturalist Rudy Mancke entitled Natural History in North America & Beyond, Series I. Register/pay for 1 or more courses when registration opens Jan. 9. Immediately email your name, title of at least one course you paid for & note you want to be enrolled FREE in Natural History in North America, Series I course (see description above): firstname.lastname@example.org
ETV Teacher Recertification WINTER Session 2020:
- All courses approved for renewal credit for SC teachers by SC Department of Education (NO grad credit)
- Over 40 courses for 20 renewal credits each – ELA, social studies, science, the arts, career ed, general ed; cost $75 each
- Natural History In and Out of the Classroom (60 renewal credits); cost $200
- Register Jan. 9 through Feb. 10; pay by credit card online or send check
- All courses open to start work Jan. 21
- Must complete 20 credit courses by session “end date” March 9 (different “end date” for 60 renewal credit course – see below)
Other Newer 20 Renewal Credit Courses:
- Between the Waters: History Across the Curriculum at Hobcaw Barony, Series I and Series II enable educators to learn to use this innovative site. Learn about this historic, coastal site that includes topics from Native American life through slavery, Reconstruction and both World Wars. *MUST complete in Series I , then Series II. (Recommended for teachers of grades 3-12)
- Teaching and Learning in Carolina Classrooms, Series I and Series II courses are similar to SC Teachers on Teaching courses. Recent SC Teachers of the Year featured. Explore key education topics: Education Options for Students, Teacher Training, Science and Career Education, Bullying and Suicide Prevention, and Digital Literacy + more. (Recommended for all grade levels)
- Connecting with Literacy Through Storytelling has already become a favorite with media specialists and classroom teachers who have given good feedback on this course in which distinguished tellers explore their craft as a literary activity. Techniques and tips are adaptable for any age! (Recommended for all grade levels)
In addition to the NEW courses with Rudy Mancke, ETV Teacher Recertification will continue to offer these other “Rudy” courses for renewal credit, all available in the WINTER session:
*Making Connections with Natural History Featuring Rudy Mancke, Series I (20 credits/$75) (ALL sessions)
*Making Connections with Natural History Featuring Rudy Mancke, Series II (20 credits/$75) (ALL sessions)
*Natural History In and Out of the Classroom with Rudy Mancke (60 credits/$200) (ONLY in WINTER session)
Natural History In and Out of the Classroom with Rudy Mancke – 60 Renewal Credits (NO grad credit)
- Cost $200; Facilitated online with 4 deadlines to complete assignments within course
- Starts Jan. 21. REQUIRED final class meeting at ETV Columbia April 25, 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (Meeting is the “end date” for this 60 renewal credit course)
Earn 60 renewal credits while learning how to integrate engaging Natural History content into any curriculum for any grade level. Class limited to 25 participants. Reserve your slot for this course now by calling number below, then register Jan. 9. (If you have already taken this course, you may take any of the 20 renewal credit courses with Rudy … different content, all good.)
- VirtualS PD's Online Teaching Endorsement page https://virtualscpd.com/